Lean Sirloin Stew

I entered this fantastic recipe in a contest a few years ago, and it was one of the finalists! It is delicious. The flavor combination is excellent.

Ready for the oven

Ingredients - serves 4


  • 1½ lbs. sirloin, or any lean cut, steak 
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 small onions, quartered
  • 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced or quartered
  • ¾ cup thinly sliced carrots
  • 1 small garlic clove, crushed, or ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3 tablespoons whole-grain flour
  • 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste - see one of my "hints" blog posts to see how I divide and store this to keep it fresh
  • ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 2 tablespoons dry red wine


Directions

Trim and cut steak into ¾” cubes. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté steak cubes until lightly browned—3 to 5 minutes. Place steak in a 2-quart casserole. I used leftover round roast this time, although I usually use sirloin steak.

Add more oil to skillet, if necessary. Sauté vegetables until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. If using fresh garlic, and the garlic during the last 2 or 3 minutes. 

Reduce heat to medium. Stir beef broth into flour until smooth; pour into skillet. Add tomato paste and seasonings. Continue stirring and bring to a boil. Boil and stir until thickened—1 to 2 minutes. 

Remove from stove, and add vegetables to steak cubes with the red wine. Cover, and bake at 350°F until bubbling and cooked through, about 50 minutes.

Variations: Choose whatever vegetables you prefer for this dish. I also put celery in this time, as I had some I needed to use up. If you like potatoes, try adding in parsnips with the vegetables, peeled and cut into chunks. Parsnips tend to soak up the flavor of the foods they are cooked with, which makes them delicious in this dish. 

I sometimes top this dish with my Spicy Whole-Wheat Dumplings. You can find that recipe here.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please share this post for others!



Comments