Spicy Whole-Wheat Dumplings


This is a flavorful dumpling recipe that I altered to add in whole grains and to reduce the fat. This is the second time that I have made these, and after two tries and modifications, the result was even better this time. 


Ingredients

1 cup whole-wheat flour
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar or sugar substitute
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper
½ cup grated low-fat Parmesan cheese
1 egg
⅔ – ¾ cup buttermilk - I did not have buttermilk, so I used the following substitution measured into a measuring cup to begin with: about a tablespoon of low-fat yogurt (that was all I had!), 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, and enough milk to equal ⅔ cup. In the end, I added a bit more milk, about a tablespoon or so.
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons butter blend, melted


Directions

In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, oil, and then melted butter. Gently stir liquid ingredients into dry ingredients until combined. I have included a photo showing how thick the dumplings were before I put them on the stew. They look too thick; however, I remembered how soupy they had turned out last time, so I decided I would rather see what would happen with the thick dumplings. This photo was taken after I had mixed in the extra bit of milk at the end by hand.

Drop the dumplings by spoonfuls onto boiling soup or stew. Cover and cook 7 to 10 minutes. 

I put these on stew in the crockpot, instead of on the stove, and then cooked them 30 to 45 minutes more. The dumplings rose, they were fluffy and tender, and extremely flavorful! I





Comments