Noodle-Spinach Mold with Mushrooms




Ingredients
4 ounces whole-grain noodles, preferably wide - I prepared this recipe with the whole-wheat egg noodles from this blog
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
½ onion, chopped
10 ounce pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
½ cup nonfat plain yogurt or plain Greek yogurt
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 1-quart casserole dish with non-stick spray. Cook noodles until al dente; drain. Sauté onions in 1 tablespoon of oil until soft.

Combine noodles, onions, drained spinach, salt, egg, and yogurt, mixing well. Pour into prepared dish. Place dish in pan of hot water in oven. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes. 

Sauté mushrooms in remaining oil; season with salt and pepper to taste. Un-mold spinach onto platter and top with mushrooms.

This is a flavorful dish that I will definitely make again, although I will not use steak-cut fresh mushrooms (the kind I had on hand) next time, as they tend to be drier. I suggest thinly slicing whole fresh mushrooms, which tend to release moisture during sautéing. If the mushrooms seem dry, add a small amount of liquid--water, beef broth, or milk/cream. And, be careful not to add too many noodles. Since the whole-wheat noodles I used are thicker, I should have used a few less noodles.



Comments