Whole Wheat Egg Noodles

Some of you may be thinking that egg noodles are unhealthy; however, I tend to think that eggs have gotten a bad rap over the years. I do not use egg substitutes regularly in cooking, and neither my husband nor I have high cholesterol. We do not eat eggs everyday, and we are careful about the other food choices that we make. We stay away from fatty meats, trans fat, and high fat diary products. If any readers use egg substitutes in cooking, please share your experiences!

This recipe is one that I have had for so many years that I am not certain where it originated. I can only guess that I started with a recipe in an old Betty Crocker cookbook back in the 70s.
Delicious!


Ingredients
2 c. flour - I used 1¼ c. whole wheat flour, and  ¾ c. white flour. The rule of thumb, for me, is more whole grain ingredients than processed
3 egg yolks
1 egg
2 t. salt
¼ to ½ c. water 

Directions
Measure the flours and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the center and add the egg yolks and whole egg. With hands, thoroughly mix egg into flour.
flour and egg mixture






Add water, 1 T. at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition. Add only enough water for dough to form a ball. I used the full 8 T. for this batch.

ready for kneading










Turn dough onto well-floured board. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. I did not need to use any of the extra flour for kneading. The dough will feel tough at first, and then it starts to loosen up after a minute or two. Cover, and let rest at least 10 minutes.
 
done kneading






Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Roll 1 part at a time, into a paper-thin rectangle, keeping remaining dough covered. My rolled sections did not turn out in the shape of rectangles, as you can see in my photo. I figured it did not really matter, since the dough was going to be cut into strips anyway.




Roll each dough piece around the rolling pin, slip out of the rolling pin, and then cut into strips. I used a serrated butter knife to cut the strips, and I did not roll the small pieces around the rolling pin. 


Place the strips on a cloth or a flour dusted board, and let dry for 2 to 24 hours, turning noodles as needed. 


When dry, break strips into smaller pieces. Cook in boiling water until done—12 to 15 minutes. Store completely dry and uncooked pieces in an airtight container in a cool dry area.

The photo at the top of this blog post, is a picture of noodles that I cooked in broth for 12 minutes, after they had dried for 2 hours

Comments