French Onion Cottage Cheese Dip

I try to stay away from chips and dip, as they are so unhealthy. I had a surplus of cottage cheese I wanted to use before it went bad, and happened across this dip idea. It is delicious served with whole grain pita chips and/or fresh veggies. I was amazed at how yummy it is!


Yum!! Photo of dip after it had been refrigerated a few hours


Ingredients 

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • Onion, chopped - I used about ¼ of a medium sized white onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
  • Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1½ cups low-fat cottage cheese
  • 1 scallion, chopped - I subbed about 1 tablespoon of chopped shallot
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar

 

Directions

Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until golden—12 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and let cool.

French Onion Dip made with cottage Cheese!
Photo taken immediately after blending ingredients.

Puree cottage cheese in food processor until smooth; add onion mixture and remaining ingredients. Pulse until smooth.  Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Serve with fresh veggies or pita chips.


Comments