Whole-Grain Paczkis!

Wow, I had no idea how delicious these are! After seeing so many ads for these yummies today, I decided to make some. I am sure I will soon wish I had not done that, because I will probably eat way too many! I subbed in a bit of whole grain flour, and I used stevia instead of sugar. The process is easy, although it is a bit time consuming.

Unfilled paczkis

Ingredients for 16

  • 1 cup fat free milk
  • 2¼ teaspoons active yeast
  • 2 large egg yolks (freeze the whites for later use)
  • 2 tablespoons Smart Balance buttery blend, softened
  • 2 tablespoons stevia
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1½ cups all purpose flour
  • 1½ cups whole wheat flour
  • olive oil for frying - I used extra light
  • granulated sugar or stevia
  • jam or custard filling, optional


Directions 

Heat milk in microwave safe glass dish for 2 minutes. Cool slightly; add yeast, stir to dissolve, and set aside.

In a large bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together butter blend and stevia until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, vanilla extract, and salt until well incorporated.

Still using the paddle attachment, add flour alternately with the milk-yeast mixture. Scrape down as needed, and continue to beat until mixture is almost blistering, about 5 minutes. It should be moist, but not sticky.

Place dough in a bowl greased with olive oil. Turn to oil other side. Cover and let rise until double--1 to 2 ½ hours.

Punch down and let rise again.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Pat or roll to ½" thickness. Cut into rounds with 3" biscuit cutter. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, 30 minutes or longer.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet or dutch oven to 350°F. Place paczkis dry (flour) side down and fry until bottom is golden--2 to 3 minutes. Flip them over and fry another 2 minutes to a golden brown.

Drain on paper towels, paper bags, or a rack. Roll in stevia or sugar while still warm, but not hot. The hotter the paczkis, the more sugar will stick. I got a bit too much stevia on some of mine that I rolled too soon. 


Optional filling
After the paczkis are cool, poke a hole in the side, and squeeze filling in from a pastry bag. 

If I make these again, I will not use filling next time, as I thought they were delicious without filling. I had already prepared some filling while they were rising, so I filled about half the batch. I chose to fill them with sugar free banana cream pudding and pie mix that I had in the cupboard. I also filled a couple with no-sugar added raspberry jam, which my husband loves.

If you are not eating these within a few days, I suggest storing them in the freezer. Let me know if you have any questions.



Comments