Yummy Whole-Grain Bulgur!

After searching for some new ideas for how to cook bulgur, I combined a few of them, and came up with the following recipe, which my husband and I both agree is a keeper!


I used Bob's Red Mill Golden Bulgur


Ingredients

  • 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • ½ cup whole-grain bulgur
  • scant 1 cup boiling water - you want to use just under twice as much water as bulgur, and ¾ cup is not quite enough.
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • small garlic clove, minced
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ teaspoon fresh black pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
  • ¼ teaspoon stevia
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • ¼ cup cucumber, diced
  • ½ bell pepper, diced - about ¼ cup. I used what I had on hand; red and green peppers.
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons red onion, diced
  • ½ can chickpeas, drained and rinsed - about ½ cup. I saved the rest for snacking the next day.
  • couple springs of fresh parsley, optional - unfortunately, I did not have fresh, so I used a few sprinkles of dried parsley.


Bulgur in bowl with boiling water, then covered with plastic wrap

Directions

Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add bulgur and heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Pour bulgur into serving bowl, and add boiling water. Stir to combine, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and set aside until liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Add a sprinkle of kosher salt before stirring, if desired. I did not use salt in this step. 

After bulgur has absorbed the liquid, place lemon juice, garlic, and seasonings (including stevia) in a small bowl. Whisk in olive oil.


Remove plastic wrap from bulgur. Fluff with a fork. Stir in vegetables and chickpeas. Add lemon juice mixture, and toss gently. Sprinkle with fresh parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.


This is also good after being chilled; however, I prefer the flavors when they are lukewarm/room temperature. Enjoy!


Comments