Make Your Own Whole-Grain Croutons!

My husband and I quit eating croutons when we started eating healthy a few years ago. I do not really miss croutons, although my husband likes them. I also do not care much for bread crusts, so I started making our croutons from bread ends. Still full of carbs, if you are trying to cut back on those, although at least these are whole-grain and low fat.

Croutons after baking


Ingredients

  • Whole-grain bread
  • Cooking spray, or olive oil in a spray bottle
  • Dried oregano, or seasoning of choice

Directions

Preheat oven to 425°F. 

Place bread slices on baking sheet, and spray with cooking spray or olive oil. Sprinkle with seasoning. I used a dried garlic-tomato mixture.  

Bake in preheated oven until toasted through, about 15 minutes total. Turn the bread over half way through cooking time. Spray second side lightly with oil, if desired.

These have been in the fridge a few weeks, and still taste fresh

Let cool, cut into cubes, and store in a cool, dry place. I store my croutons in the fridge in an empty Parmesan cheese container. We use them on salads, and in meatloaf or meatball recipes.

Enjoy!




Comments