Marinated Swordfish with optional Avocado Salsa

I love this marinade for baking, grilling, or broiling swordfish. I do not usually serve it with salsa; however, this time, the salsa idea came to me as I was preparing the marinade, and deciding how to use an avocado that I had. Feel free to modify the salsa ingredients to your preferences; I merely prepared it with ingredients I had on hand. The ingredients I used are listed below the swordfish marinade ingredients.

Avocado salsa and swordfish steaks before cooking
click photo to enlarge

Swordfish marinade ingredients, for 1 lb. fish

  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped or minced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • ½ onion, sliced
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • Sea or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper


Swordfish directions


Combine all marinade ingredients except salt and pepper. Season 1 lb. swordfish steaks with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Add steaks to marinade, and marinate in fridge for about 30 minutes, turning after 15 minutes. Drain and discard marinade.

Grill steaks over hot coals until done, about 3 minutes per side. Or, bake at 400° to 425° just until done—10 to 12 minutes. Serve with optional salsa, if desired. I baked our steaks this time, although I prefer them grilled.


Avocado salsa ingredients

  • 1 medium avocado, cut into cubes - I used about ¾ of a large avocado
  • ½ lime, juiced
  • ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced or chopped
  • small hot pepper (such as jalapeƱo or habanero), diced  - I used 1 habanero I had left on my plant from my summer crop
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped roma tomatoes - I had grape tomatoes, and used about 3 of them
  • 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro or 1 teaspoon dried
  • Sea or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Salsa directions

Combine all ingredients in order listed. Toss lightly with a fork to combine. Set aside for 20 to 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to blend.

Enjoy! Let me know if you have any questions, and feel free to share this post.

Comments