Cabbage Rolls

Stuffed rolls ready to fold over for the pan

This cabbage roll recipe can be found on page 116 in my book. You can prepare these with any lean ground meat. I usually use Jennie-O ground turkey when I make them.

I am sharing a few tips, which are not listed with the recipe:
  • Freeze the cabbage roll for a couple of hours beforehand. The leaves will easily slide off without tearing after the cabbage starts to freeze. The taste and texture is not any different after baking.
  • I always chop up a few extra cabbage leaves to stir in with the ground meat and rice. This is visible in the photo above, if you click on it to enlarge it. I like veggies, and add extra to recipes whenever I can!
  • Fresh herbs are more plentiful in Michigan during the summer; I used 3 fresh sage leaves instead of ground sage in this dish.
  • I always choose canned tomatoes with no more than 3 grams of sugar per serving. Once you start reading labels, it is surprising how many tomato products have a great deal of added sugar.
  • I stir in a couple of tablespoons of the sauce with the ground meat and rice before I wrap the rolls.

Ready for the oven

Enjoy! Let me know if you have any questions ~

Comments