Nutty, Fudgey, Flourless Brownies

**I added a few updates to this recipe in 2020. 

There are many flourless brownie recipes on the Internet, if you are looking to reduce carbs. This recipe also has a bit less sugar than most recipes I found. 

Brownies ready to store from first batch

Ingredients

  • ¾ cup walnuts 
  • ⅓ - ½ cup stevia - my original post called for ½ cup, and I have decided that is too much sweetener. I made these again with only ⅓ cup, and they were just as good.
  • ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt, mashed banana, or combination - First time: I had 1 small banana, which I mashed, and then I added enough yogurt to equal ½ cup. When updating this recipe: I used ½ cup yogurt, with the lesser sugar amount.
  • ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • ½ cup bittersweet or dark chocolate chips - First time: I used Hershey's dark chocolate chips. The sugar content is the same in both flavors, although the dark chocolate chips contain .5 grams more total fat per tablespoon. Second time: I used bittersweet chips. Because of the lesser fat content, you will need to use a bit of cooking spray or olive oil in the container before melting.


Directions

Heat oven to 350°. Lightly coat an 8 x 8” baking pan with cooking spray. I used my 7 x 11" pan, and I would have preferred the brownies a bit thicker.

Pulse walnuts in food processor until very finely chopped. I did not process my chopped walnuts the first time. The second time, I ground them in my coffee grinder. The finer nuts resulted in a more cake-like brownie consistency. Place walnuts in a large mixing bowl. Add stevia, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.

Whisk together eggs, yogurt and/or banana, olive oil, and vanilla extract. Make a well in dry ingredients and whisk wet ingredients into dry to combine.

Melt chocolate chips in the microwave or in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, whisking to melt, about 1 minute. I melted the chocolate in the microwave for 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds. Whisk into batter. 

Click on photo to enlarge and see slightly crisp edges

Pour batter into pan and bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean—20 to 25 minutes. I like chewy brownies that are a bit crisp around the edges, so I baked the brownies for 22 minutes, turned the oven off, and then left the pan in the oven another 4 to 5 minutes. The second photo above does not show the inside of the brownie very well, although it does show the slight crispness at the edges.

Cool completely; cut into squares. Store in refrigerator. I placed wax paper between the pieces to prevent sticking.


When I updated this recipe, we splurged and had a brownie with no sugar added ice cream.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please share this post for others!


Comments