Tex-Mex Salad

I threw this tasty and healthy salad together with ingredients I had that needed to be used. I am sharing the dressing recipe and ingredients I used, along with other ingredient suggestions. Let me know what ideas you have, too!


Ingredients - serves 4


  • ½ cup whole grain pasta
  • ¼ to ½ avocado, diced
  • ¾ cup corn - I used thawed frozen corn
  • ½ can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • Onion, thinly sliced - preferably red or green
  • Red bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • ½ small or medium size jalapeƱo, chopped
  • Tomato, chopped - I used about ½ of a Roma tomato
  • Fresh cilantro
  • Additional ingredient suggestions: finely shredded low fat cheddar cheese, more bell peppers of any color, sliced black olives

Dressing ingredients

  • 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil - I used chipotle flavored oil, although this is not necessary
  • 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard - I used Dijon
  • 2 teaspoons lime juice
  • Sea salt to taste

Directions

Cook pasta to al dente according to package directions. Drain and rinse.

Prepare dressing while pasta is cooking: measure red wine vinegar into glass bowl. Whisk in olive oil, and then mustard and lime juice. Season lightly with sea salt. If you do not have fresh cilantro, I suggest stirring 2 to 3 teaspoons dried cilantro in with dressing ingredients.

Gently stir in pasta and remaining ingredients to combine. Stir in fresh cilantro last. Let rest about 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve with additional fresh cilantro and lime wedges, if desired.

Leftovers brightened up with a fresh lime wedge and bit more cilantro

Feel free to share this post!
  


Comments