Whole-Wheat German Apple Cake

I do not recall where this recipe originated. I know I have prepared this before; cutting down the sugar (again), and adding in whole-wheat flour. I also added unsweetened applesauce to the batter this time.

Delicious!

Topping Ingredients

½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans - I used pecans this time, although I have used walnuts before
1 to 2 tablespoons truvia brown sugar blend
¼ cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons olive oil

Cake Ingredients

¾ cup olive oil
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
1¼ cups whole-wheat flour
¾ cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
4 cups peeled, and finely chopped apples

Mixed topping ingredients

Directions

Coat a glass pan with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients and mix together until large crumbs form. Set aside.

Beat olive oil and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating between additions. Beat in vanilla extract. Stir in applesauce. 

Ready to add the chopped apples


Add dry ingredients and beat on low speed, just until mixed. Fold in chopped apples. 

Transfer to prepared pan and sprinkle with topping. Bake at 350°F until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean—45 to 55 minutes. Serve warm, at room temperature, or straight out of the fridge. Store leftover cake in the fridge. If I am not preparing this for a group, I cut it in half, and store half in the freezer. 

After baking

Let me know if you have any questions!



Comments