Whole-Wheat Apple Bread

The second time I made this bread, I was a bit shy on the apple quantity, so I added a bit of shredded carrots. The bread was just as delicious as the first time, and there was not any noticeable difference in flavor.

2nd preparation with carrots, too

Ingredients for 1 loaf or 18 muffins

  • 1 scant cup Truvia - the recipe I started with calls for almost 2 cups sugar, and I used 1 cup Truvia. Since the raisins and apples also provide some sweetening, I plan to reduce that amount slightly next time. 
  • ⅓ cup to 5 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce or apple juice - I store unsweetened applesauce the same way I do tomato paste and chipotle chilis after I open the containers. For applesauce, I mound it into muffin tins, freeze, and then pop them out and store in a sealed container in the freezer. I used one of the frozen mounds in this recipe, which are about ⅓ cup.
frozen applesauce
  • ½ cup olive oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
  • ¾ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1¾ cups whole-wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
  • 3 cups finely chopped or shredded apples - if you are short on apples, fill in with grated carrots.
  • ¾ cups raisins
  • ¾ cups chopped pecans - I used True Goodness raw pecans by Meijer.


Directions

Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray baking pan or muffin tins with non-stick spray.

With a mixer on low speed, combine sugar substitute, unsweetened applesauce, and oil. Beat in eggs and vanilla, then mix in dry ingredients until well blended. 

Stir in chopped apples, raisins, and pecans. Pour batter into prepared pan or muffins cups, smoothing the top with a spatula or spoon. 

1st batch before baking -
in a low profile glass dish
2nd batch before baking -
in a bread pan












Bake until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean—50 to 65 minutes. Bake muffins 25 to 30 minutes total. I baked the the glass pan 50 minutes, and the loaf pan 65 minutes.


1st batch after baking
2nd batch baked in loaf pan










This bread is sweet enough to serve as dessert, although it is not too sweet. You can sprinkle it with a cinnamon-sugar mixture during baking, if desired; however, I do not think that is needed. 

Enjoy, and please feel free to share this post!

Comments