Whole-grain Sourdough Biscuits

I found another great recipe using the unfed sourdough starter we all hate to discard! I started with a recipe posted by King Arthur Flour, and then I made a couple of minor modifications. 

The second time I made these biscuits, I decided ½ cup of butter was too much, so I decided to reduce the butter (Smart Balance Buttery Spread, actually) by 2 tablespoons. They were just as delicious as they had been the first time. You can click on the photos to enlarge them and see the textures. If you have difficulty getting one of the first two photos to enlarge by clicking on it, try one of the others, and then you can access all of them.
biscuit made with 6 T. butter

biscuit made with 8 T. butter










Ingredients

1 cup whole-grain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold butter  - I used Smart Balance buttery spread with olive oil
1 cup sourdough starter, unfed, cold from the refrigerator

dough after mixing

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425°F, with a rack in the upper third.

Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Work the butter into the flour until the mixture is crumbly. Add the starter, mixing gently only until the dough is combined well.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and gently pat it into a 1"-thick round or square. Use a sharp 2 3/8" biscuit cutter to cut rounds, cutting them as close to one another as possible. Pat any scraps together, and cut additional biscuits. I did not use a biscuit cutter the second time. I cut the dough in 6 equal squares after patting the dough out, and then pushed the sharp corners in a bit as I transferred them to my baking pan.

Place the biscuits on a baking sheet. Bake the biscuits in the upper third of oven until they're golden brown--21 to 23 minutes.

Remove the biscuits from the oven, and serve warm. To store, cool completely, wrap in plastic, and store at room temperature for several days. Freeze, well-wrapped, for longer storage.

Yield: 6 large (3") biscuits.

cooked biscuits when prepared 1/2016
cooked biscuits prepared
with less butter 3/2016











If you like this idea, please share this post!

Comments