New Cabbage Soup Diet

Remember the Cabbage Soup Diet recipe from years ago? Losing weight is a popular topic this time of year, so I am sharing my version of the recipe. Since the vegetable combinations in the original recipe supposedly work together for maximum fat and weight loss, the main modification to the recipe is the broth flavor. I flavor the broth with seasonings, rather than dry onion soup mix. This quantity is smaller than the original version, as well.


Ingredients

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
½ head cabbage, chopped 
1 large onion or 2 medium onions, chopped 
1 green pepper, chopped
½ jalapeno pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped - leaves and all 
3 carrots, sliced 
½ lb. green beans or mushrooms, sliced - I used mushrooms for this batch.
2 garlic cloves, minced
Freshly ground pepper 
Chili powder
14 ounce can Hunts fire roasted tomatoes - I always choose canned tomatoes with no more than 3 grams of sugar per serving.
2 to 3 cups vegetable liquid/broth - I had about 2 cups of vegetable broth from vegetables I boiled a couple of days earlier, so I added water to the the empty tomato can (about ¾ full) to swish around and then add to the soup with the liquid. I always save my vegetable water, and if I do not use it within a couple of days (in a recipe like Cabbage Rolls), I freeze it until needed.
2 low-sodium beef bouillon cubes
Fresh herbs, chopped - I did not have any fresh herbs, so I sprinkled in some dried basil and parsley.
¼ cup balsamic vinegar 

Directions

Heat oil in a large pot on the stove. Add vegetables and sauté until soft, about 2 minutes. Add minced garlic and sauté 1 minute more. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and chili powder.

Add tomatoes, vegetable broth or water, and beef bouillon. Bring to a boil, and boil gently for 10 minutes. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until all the vegetables are soft. 

Stir in more black pepper, chopped herbs, and balsamic vinegar. 

If you like this recipe, please share this post!

Comments