Thursday, January 28, 2016

Healthy Carrot Cake made with unfed sourdough starter

I was a bit worried as I was mixing up the batter for this recipe I had altered from King Arthur Flour. The consistency was initially different than I expected. I had no need to be worried - the end result was moist and delicious! 

Yum! Click on the photo to enlarge it and see the texture
The only thing I will do differently next time, is add raisins and decrease the sugar substitute to ⅓ cup. If you plan to serve the cake without frosting or whipped cream, then you may want to stay with ½ cup sweetener.   

Ingredients


  • ¾ cup safflower or light olive oil
  • ⅓ to ½ cup sugar substitute - I used ½ cup Truvia, and although this cake was delicious, I think ⅓ cup would have been plenty. Especially, since I am planning to add raisins next time!
  • ½ cup unfed sourdough starter
  • 1 egg

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
 extract
  • ½ cup no-sugar added crushed pineapple, drained

  • 1 cup grated carrots

  • ¼ cup chopped pecans
 or walnuts - I used pecans.
  • ¼ cup unsweetened coconut, shredded - I used fresh shredded coconut I had in the freezer. You can see the process for shredding fresh coconut in my coconut blog post.
  • 2 tablespoons raisins, optional - although I did not use raisins this time, I think it would be an excellent addition to the recipe.
  • ½ cup whole-wheat flour
  • ¾ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon

  • ¼ teaspoon salt

  • ½ teaspoon baking soda


Directions


Combine oil and sugar substitute, and then stir in sourdough starter. Mix in egg, beating well, and then add vanilla extract. Fold in pineapple, carrots, nuts, coconut, and raisins. 

In a separate bowl, combine flours, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring just to combine. 

ready for the oven

Spoon batter into a lightly greased 8” square pan. I used my small glass pan, which is about 11" x 7,"  so my pan was slightly larger than an 8" square pan. 

Bake in a preheated 350°F oven until done--35 to 40 minutes. I cooked the cake 35 minutes in my glass pan. Remove cake from oven and cool completely on a wire rack. Frost, or serve with low sugar whipped cream, if desired. 

fresh from the oven

If you want to frost your cake with cream cheese frosting, this is how I made the frosting:


some of the frosting ingredients

Ingredients for reduced sugar and reduced fat cream cheese frosting

½ cup sugar substitute - I used Truvia
½ to 1 teaspoon cornstarch
8 ounces low fat (neufch√Ętel) cream cheese - I used Kraft Philadelphia cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

Place sugar substitute and cornstarch in blender. I only had about ⅓ cup of Truvia, so I only used ½ teaspoon cornstarch. Blend for several seconds, until mixture becomes powdery. Add cream cheese and vanilla. Blend until frosting is well mixed, and a good spreading consistency. Frost cooled cake.

Let me know how you like this recipe, and please share this post!