Healthy Carrot Cake made with unfed sourdough starter

I was a bit worried as I was mixing up the batter for this recipe I had altered from King Arthur Flour. The consistency was initially different than I expected. I had no need to be worried - the end result was moist and delicious! 

Yum! Click on the photo to enlarge it and see texture.
See photos and recipe below for the creamy new frosting.

Ingredients


  • ¾ cup safflower oil, light olive oil
, or Zoye premium oil
  • ⅓ cup sugar substitute - I used Truvia
  • ½ cup unfed sourdough starter
  • 1 egg

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
 extract
  • ½ cup no-sugar added crushed pineapple, drained

  • 1 cup carrots, grated

  • ¼ cup chopped pecans
 or walnuts - I used pecans.
  • ¼ cup unsweetened coconut, shredded - I used fresh shredded coconut I had in the freezer. You can see the process for shredding fresh coconut in my coconut blog post.
  • 2 tablespoons raisins
  • ½ cup whole-wheat flour
  • ¾ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • ¼ teaspoon salt

  • ½ teaspoon baking soda


Directions


In stand mixer, combine oil and sugar substitute, and then stir in sourdough starter. Mix in egg, beating well, and then add vanilla extract. Fold in pineapple, carrots, nuts, coconut, and raisins. 

In a separate bowl, combine flours, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring just to combine. 

ready for the oven

Spoon batter into a lightly greased 8” or 9" square pan. I used my small glass pan, which is about 11" x 7,"  so my pan is slightly larger than an 8" square pan. 

Bake in a preheated 350°F oven until done--35 to 40 minutes. I cooked the cake 35 minutes in my glass pan. Remove cake from oven and cool completely on a wire rack. Frost, or serve with low sugar whipped cream, if desired. 

fresh from the oven 

---Frosting recipe updated July 2021. The photo at the top of this post has different frosting on it, which is not as good, and it has more sweetener!--- 

If you want to frost your cake with cream cheese frosting, this is how I made the frosting:


Photo from July 2021

Ingredients for reduced sugar and reduced fat cream cheese frosting

  • 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
  • ½ cup room temperature butter or butter substitute - I used Smart Balance
  • 1 tablespoon nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon granulated stevia 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Photo from July 2021

Directions

Place cream cheese and butter in mixing bowl. Mix with mixer paddle until well blended. 

Swap the mixer paddle out for the whisk attachment. Whisk in the yogurt and remaining ingredients. Beat for 1 minute, or until desired consistency. Add additional yogurt or nonfat milk, if desired. The two bottom photos sow the frosting made with the ingredients exactly as listed.

Frost cake after completely cooled. Store in fridge.


Let me know how you like this recipe, and please share this post!

Comments