Crockpot Tomato Chicken

Super easy, moist, and delicious chicken recipe!



Ingredients

½ cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon tomato paste
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
¼ teaspoon salt 
¼ teaspoon pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 to 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into large chunks - I did not have any parsnips, so I added about 1 cup of fresh cauliflower pieces instead
1 sprig rosemary
½ medium onion chopped
¼ cup large pitted green olives, chopped
2 bay leaves
12 oz. can diced tomatoes
¾ to 1 lb. boneless chicken breast
1 tablespoon whole-wheat flour
4 to 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced - a 4 oz. can would be plenty; I had plenty of fresh mushrooms on hand, so I used more
¼ cup brown rice or barley, optional 
parsley 

Directions

Whisk wine, tomato paste, red pepper, salt, and pepper in crockpot. Add garlic, parsnips, rosemary, onion, olives, bay leaves, and tomatoes. Coat chicken with flour, and add to crockpot. I shook the chicken in a bag with the flour. Top with mushrooms. 

photo before adding mushrooms

Cook until chicken is done—4 to 6 hours on high, or 6 to 7 hours on low.

fresh mushrooms on top,
which shrink down and produce moisture
If adding rice or barley, stir in for the last 1 to 2 hours of cooking time. I thought the sauce looked kind of thin near the end of the cooking time, so I added in ½ cup of rice the last hour, which I had initially planned to cook separately and serve with this dish. If you wish to add a thickener to the dish, I suggest using barley instead, and only use ¼ cup. If you use canned mushrooms, the sauce will not turn out as thin unless you also add the liquid from the can.

Sprinkle with parsley before serving.

Enjoy ~ Please are your substitution ideas, and this post as well!

Comments