Whole-Wheat Winter Squash Quick Bread

My husband did not like the idea when I told him I was thinking about making bread with our leftover acorn squash. I am glad I decided to make this bread anyway, because it was delicious! I did not take any pictures during preparation, because I was not sure I would be sharing or keeping the recipe. I was wrong about that!



Ingredients


  • ½ cup olive or safflower oil
  • ½ cup sugar substitute - I have used Splenda and Stevia
  • ¼ cup fat-free milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup mashed winter squash - I used leftover cooked fresh acorn squash, which probably had a touch of butter flavoring in it from when it had been cooked in the oven
  • 2 cups whole-wheat flour
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • dash cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and/or allspice, optional - I used everything except allspice; about ¼ to ½ teaspoon total
  • ½ cup chopped walnuts


Directions

Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C). Spray bottom of 9" x 5" loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl, mix oil and sugar together. Add eggs and milk, and mix well. Add squash and vanilla, and mix until combined. I used an electric mixer until I finished this step; I then mixed in the next ingredients by hand.

Stir in flour and salt. Add baking soda, baking powder, and optional spices. Stir to mix. Stir in chopped nuts. Spread batter into prepared loaf pan. The batter will be quite thick.

Bake until bread is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean—55 to 60 minutes. I baked this 59 minutes in a stoneware bread pan.

Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto wire rack and cool 20 to 30 minutes more before slicing.

Please share your results, and if you like this post, feel free to share it!

Comments