Cuban Tacos

We loved these tacos that I made last night, so I am sharing the recipe! I prepared them with pork since the recipe idea I started with called for pork; however, I think we will try white chicken breast next time--or, maybe fish!
some of the ingredients I started with




Ingredients - 2 to 3 servings

  • ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
  • 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • ¾ lb. boneless lean pork or chicken
  • 7 oz. black beans, rinsed and drained - I used half a can, then put the rest in a freezer container and froze them; if you want to use dry beans, soak about ⅓ cup in water overnight, then rinse and boil to desired doneness. 

Toppings:

  • Fresh jalapeno, thinly sliced
  • Pineapple tidbits - I use natural juice; no sugar added. Since I used a can of chunks, rather than tidbits, I cut them into smaller chunks.
  • Fresh arugula
  • Fresh tomato, diced
  • ¼ small red onion or 2 to 3 green onions, thinly sliced
  • Goat cheese
  • Avocado slices, optional - depending what you prefer (or, have on hand), I suggest avocado or goat cheese. I did not have any avocado, so I decided to try goat cheese; it was an excellent combination with the pineapple and arugula!
  • Soft whole-grain corn tortilla shells




Directions
Measure lime juice, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper into a small bowl. Whisk in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Set 2 tablespoons of the marinade aside. Add meat to remaining marinade, cover, and allow to marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight. 

After the meat has soaked, heat about 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet on the stove. Remove the meat from marinade and brown on all sides. Season with additional ground pepper, if desired. Cook, adding water as needed, until the meat easily shreds with a fork. 

Add black beans to meat and heat. Serve shredded meat on shells with reserved marinade and additional toppings, as desired.

If you like this recipe, please share this post!

Comments