Whole-Wheat Strawberry Shortcakes

I started with the following recipe that I found online while searching for a whole-wheat shortcake recipe: Taste of Home. The end result was delicious, so I have added this to my recipe collection. Below is the recipe I kept with the very slight modifications that I made - mostly I just downsized the recipe, although I made a couple of minor alterations to the ingredients, as well.


Ingredients - 3 to 4 servings
1½ cups fresh strawberries
1 teaspoon maple syrup - I used store bought sugar-free syrup
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1¼ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons cold trans-fat-free butter - I used Smart Balance Buttery Blend
2 tablespoons light olive oil
1 egg
3 tablespoons fat-free milk
2 tablespoons honey

In a bowl, thoroughly mash ½ of strawberries; stir in syrup. Slice remaining strawberries; add to crushed strawberries and toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, while preparing shortcakes.

Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Cut in butter until crumbly. 


In a small bowl, whisk egg, olive oil, milk, and honey until blended; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. 

ready for the oven
Pat or roll dough to ¾” thickness; cut with a floured 2½” biscuit cutter. The shortcake batter was very moist, so I just shaped it into 2 equal-sized biscuits, and placed them on my stoneware pan. As you can see, we ended up with 2 large shortcakes, which we cut in half after baking, so we ended up with 4 shortcakes in the end.
after baking
Place shortcakes on baking sheet lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Since I was using a stoneware pan, I did not use any non-stick spray. Bake until light brown—12 to 15 minutes.

Top with berries, and serve ~ Delicious! Please feel free to share your thoughts, and this post, too.

Comments