Chicken Quesadillas

This recipe is on page 101 of my book, and it can be cooked on the grill or stove. I decided to mix this together before we left for the weekend, since there was the possibility of rain in the forecast for Friday evening at our summer "home." 

I am sharing photos and a few things I did differently from the original recipe.

- I used fresh jalapeño instead of green chilis. I had a large jalapeño, and I initially thought I would use the whole thing. After I started dicing it up, I decided to use only ¼ cup.

The jalapeño I started with.
I should have put my finger next to it to show the size!

- I used white onion instead of green onion.

- I used low fat shredded Mexican cheese instead of cheddar cheese.

- I had a bit more chicken than the recipe calls for--about ¼ cup more. I did not modify any of the other ingredient quantities.

I did not have any cooked chicken, so I prepared my chicken in the following manner.

Step 1: I seasoned a chicken breast with spicy poultry rub. This was a blend I had made, and it contains coriander, cumin, paprika, garlic, cayenne, and salt. 

Step 2: I heated a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet, browned the chicken, and then cooked it until it could be shredded, adding water as needed.

shredded chicken

After the chicken was all shredded, I combined all of the ingredients, and then put everything in a ziplock bag for packing in our cooler.

combined ingredients
Photos of the finished quesadillas below. I did not have any fresh cilantro; we topped them with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and nonfat yogurt.






Comments