Homemade Whole-Grain Baking Mix

I have been unable to find whole-grain baking mix in the store, so I decided to make my own. I had been using whole-grain pancake mix, which works okay if only a small amount is needed. I found, however, that I did not like the taste when I needed more than a couple of tablespoons.


Those of you who have my book, may be familiar with my Cream Soup Powder recipe, and this is a similar idea. I did an online search for ideas, and came up with the following mixture.

Ready for the freezer

Ingredients

1 tablespoon sugar substitute
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups whole-grain flour - I used whole-wheat flour.
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons trans-fat-free butter, frozen and/or nonfat Greek yogurt - I had been using Smart Balance sticks; however, these are no longer available, so I used Earth Balance sticks, as they are made with natural oils and have no trans fat. The fat content is quite high, however, so I have returned to Smart Balance, and now use their buttery spread in place of stick margarine or butter in recipes.

Directions

Combine all of the dry ingredients.


Ready to cut the butter in
Grate/shred butter, and cut into dry ingredients. I used half a stick of Earth Balance the first time I made this mix. The biscuits I made with that mix were quite buttery and rich, so I altered the measurements. The results of the second batch are at the end of this post.


After everything is mixed
Use this baking mix as you would Bisquick or Jiffy in any recipe with baking mix. Store in a tightly sealed container or bag in the freezer.

Please share your results, and feel free to share this post for others.

**UPDATE
The photos below are from the second batch of mix I made, prepared with 2 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt, and 1 tablespoon Smart Balance buttery spread. I have used the mix to make strawberry shortcakes, so far, and the remainder is stored in the freezer.

Second batch of mix looks the same as the first one

Shortcakes turned out similar, too, and just as tasty!

Comments