Whole-Wheat Low Fat Cheesy Bread Sticks

I had a few too many mozzarella cheese sticks than we would eat before the expiration date. I must have gotten a little crazy when they were last on sale, or else I did not look at the expiration dates closely! So, I came up with the following delicious idea for how to use them.


Ingredients
1 batch of my homemade whole-grain pizza dough - recipe in this blog, and in my book
Cut/chopped slices of jalapeƱos from a jar, optional - if you prefer fresh, I imagine they would be a bit crispy in the finished product unless they are partially cooked first
About 8 low fat mozzarella cheese sticks, cut in half lengthwise or into 4 cubes
Additional toppings as desired: turkey pepperoni, Canadian bacon, cooked and diced turkey bacon

Directions
Prepare the pizza dough as directed. Stir in the cut jalapeƱos with the flour and oil.

While the dough is rising, prepare baking sheet and remaining ingredients. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray. Cut cheese and other ingredients into desired size pieces.

When the dough is ready for the baking sheet, pick up a chunk of dough, place a cheese piece and any additional topping on the dough piece. Wrap the dough around the cheese, and then roll it between your hands until the ball or log piece is smooth and there are no holes in the dough. Add more dough, if needed.


Place dough pieces on prepared baking sheet. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or a towel and let rise  for 15 to 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425°. Place baking sheet in oven, and reduce temperature to 375°. You can probably keep the oven temperature at 425°; however, since I had never baked these before, I opted to turn it down to make sure 425° was not too high. Bake until done12 to 18 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store leftovers in the freezer, and preheat as needed.

I tried the cheese pieces 3 different ways
I made a couple of these with the entire cheese stick, a few of them cut in half lengthwise, and a few of them cut into 4 pieces. Next time, I would not leave any of the cheese sticks whole. The cheese goes farther if cut, and an entire cheese stick is not needed. 

Even though there were no holes in my dough pieces, a bit of cheese leaked out from a couple of them. Some might suggest using parchment paper so the cheese does not leak onto the baking sheet; however, I did not think that was necessary. The cheese that leaked out, easily came up from the baking sheet still attached to the dough piece it had run out from.

I did not use any pepperoni or bacon in these, although I would have, if I had thought of it before I wrapped them all up!

Comments