Peanutty Snack Mix

Ingredients
5 cups whole-grain oat cereal, like Cheerios
1 cup Chex cereal - Wheat Chex is my preferred flavor since it has the most fiber; however, I occasionally buy the others and I had an open box of Corn Chex when I prepared this
1 tablespoon trans-fat-free butter
¼ cup natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips, optional
pinch of kosher or sea salt
1½ cups peanuts
1 cup dried fruit - I used a combination of dried cranberries and raisins, and I think banana chips would also be an excellent choice


Directions
Preheat oven to 350°. Measure cereal into a 9 x 13" baking pan.

Melt butter and peanut butter in small saucepan over low heat. Stir in chocolate chips until melted. Stir in salt, and then pour mixture over cereal, stirring until well mixed.

Place pan in oven for 10 minutes. Stir mixture twice during the 10 minutes; after about 3 to 4 minutes each time. 

Remove pan from oven, and stir in peanuts. Allow mixture to cool. Stir in dried fruit, and enjoy! Store in a sealed container in a cool, dry place.

another close up photo

Comments