7-layer Salad Recipe Update

Those of you who have my book already have a version of this recipe on page 87. And, if you follow my posts, you know that I almost aways substitute plain nonfat Greek yogurt for sour cream in recipes. I have wanted to try this recipe with 100% yogurt substituted for sour cream; however, I had not tried it that way before my book was published. 

Last night, I made this for just the two of us, so I swapped out the sour cream 100% for yogurt. The result was not much different than sour cream, so I will be using yogurt in this recipe from now on. The photos shown here are slightly different than the recipe because I made a smaller batch, and I substituted some ingredients for what I had in my fridge, as usual.

Ingredients
Lettuce - I use romaine or a similar green leafy style
Sweet onion or red onion
Green bell pepper - I used yellow and orange bell pepper
Celery
Frozen peas, thawed
½ package dry ranch or Italian dressing 
½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
½ cup mayo - I always use olive oil based Kraft or Hellmann's
Low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
Turkey bacon bits - I used 4 slices of cooked and chopped turkey bacon  


salad with seasoning ready for the dressing

Directions
Chop and layer vegetables in order given in a 9” x 12” dish. The glass dish in the photo that I used for this smaller batch is 11" x 7", and I did not layer the ingredients as thickly as I usually do when preparing this for a gathering. 

Sprinkle salad evenly with dry dressing mix. I used ¼ of a package for this smaller batch, which is a little more than a tablespoon. 

ready to serve


Combine yogurt and mayo; carefully spread over vegetables. I used ¼ cup each of yogurt and mayo for this smaller batch. Although it may look like the dry dressing mix and spread is too thin, the flavor will be full.

Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bacon bits. Be careful not to be too heavy-handed when layering the ingredients. I thought this batch ended up with a bit too much cheese, although my husband always likes lots of cheese!


Serve immediately  or refrigerate up to 24 hours before serving, as this starts to get soggy after 24 hours.

Now that I know we like this with yogurt in place of sour cream, I am not afraid to serve it to others, too. If I get any complaints the next time I serve this, I will let everyone know!

Comments