Chicken Enchilada Dip

This recipe started with a similar recipe that someone shared on Facebook. I doubled it because I made it for a gathering of more than 10 people, and I did not think the regular size batch would be enough. I should have known I would alter the recipe some, which resulted in a larger portion this time since I added ingredients. 

I am sharing two recipe versions in this post: the doubled ingredients version I used for our party, and the one I saved in my cookbook for future. The first recipe is the double batch pictured here, which almost filled my 3-quart crockpot.

photo taken after all ingredients combined
and heated for 1 hour

Ingredients 
1½ to 2 lbs. cooked chicken breast, shredded
16 oz. lowfat cream cheese
1¼ c. mayo
6 oz. plain yogurt - those of you who have my book or follow my blog know that I use nonfat Greek yogurt in most of my creamy recipes.
8 oz. lowfat shredded Mexican blend cheese
8 oz. lowfat shredded colby jack cheese
2 - 4 oz. cans diced green chili peppers with juice - I had one can of diced chilis and one can of whole chilis, which I cut up. I decided I like the whole chilis better because they seemed fresher and less mushy than the precut ones.
2 tomatoes, diced
1 large jalapeño pepper, finely diced - use more if you like more heat

Directions 
Combine all ingredients in crockpot. Cook on low for at least 2 hours before serving, and keep warm for up to 8 hours. Serve with whole-grain tortilla chips.

This can also be baked in the oven until warm, and then served at rom temperature. I preferred the leftovers (there was not much!) right from the fridge, or warmed just enough to take the chill off because then the dip was chunkier.

after cooking in the crockpot for a few hours

Smaller batch recipe for cookbook

Ingredients 
1 lb. cooked chicken breast, shredded
8 oz. lowfat cream cheese
½ c. mayo
½ c. plain yogurt
8 oz. lowfat shredded Mexican blend cheese
4 oz. can green chili peppers, chopped
1 small can tomatoes or 1 diced fresh tomato
1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, finely diced 
red or green bell peppers (optional), chopped

Directions 
Combine all ingredients in crockpot. Cook on low for at least 2 hours before serving, and keep warm for up to 8 hours. Serve with whole-grain tortilla chips.

Comments