Book Update and Q & As

Thank you for all of the great feedback about my book! I am glad everyone is finding it helpful. I have made a couple of minor edits to the paperback and hardcover books based on comments I received, and the updated versions are now available at Lulu.com.


I am sharing a few questions I have been asked with my answers below, as I am sure more of you have these same questions, too. Please continue to send me your questions and comments. You can comment here in this blog, on my Facebook page, or write a review on Lulu. 

Q. What kind of nuts do you buy for snacking and cooking? Raw, roasted, canned...?

A. I usually buy raw nuts in the produce section of the grocery store. I then toast them (following the instructions on page 22) just before using them in salads or dishes to bring out the flavor. I snack on raw nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts), although my husband prefers them roasted. So, I also buy lightly salted roasted peanuts--in the shell and shelled, and pistachios. Mixed nuts in the shell are plentiful this time of year as well.

Q. How do you use pomegranate seeds? Are they worth the trouble?

A. Yes, it is a bit of work to get the seeds out, although I think it is worth the effort. The instructions and ideas on page 24 work very well. I put water in my sink and use a colander when I remove the seeds, rather than a bowl of water. Be careful, because the red juice can make a mess if it spills outside of the water. 


seeds from one pomegranate                      



I like pomegranate seeds plain for snacking, in all kinds of salads (lettuce, spinach, quinoa, apple waldorf salad), on cottage cheese, in plain nonfat Greek yogurt, and on cooked oatmeal. They also pair well with pork or poultry. 






If you have turkey leftover from Thanksgiving, and like turkey salad, try the following combination: turkey breast, celery, onions, and almonds (all diced/chopped), pomegranate seeds, and a bit of olive oil based mayo. Serve with whole-grain bread or on lettuce. 

Drop a few pomegranate seeds in holiday cocktails. They look festive, and they are even yummier after they have been soaked in champagne or vodka.



Q. What kind of cereal is best? Is instant oatmeal okay?

A. I stay away from any instant or processed foods as much as possible. Even though the fiber and whole-grain content in some instant foods is good, it has still been processed to cook quicker. Because instant oatmeal has been processed to cook more quickly, it is broken down and digested more quickly by your body, giving it a higher glycemic index than traditional oatmeal. The same holds true for instant rice. When I have cold cereal, I choose whole-grain products with little or no added sugar, like plain Cheerios, plain shredded wheat, original Grape-nuts, and Wheat Chex.

 Keep the questions and comments coming, and if you find these hints useful, please share this post!

Comments