Friday, October 31, 2014

Cherry Oatmeal

Delicious, with no need to add sugar or sweetener! The measurements below make one bowl, and the ingredients can easily be doubled.

photo before milk was added

Ingredients
1 cup water
½ cup rolled old-fashioned oats
2 tablespoons unsweetened dried cherries - I cut some of the larger pieces in half
1 tablespoon unsweetened or no-sugar-added cherry jam - I used sugar-free jam
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
Measure water, oats, and cherries into a small saucepan on stove. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.

Stir in cherry jam and vanilla. Serve with milk.

My finished dish turned out thicker than usual because I had the heat on high for too long at the start (electric stove, and I did not notice it was boiling right away). That was okay with me, because I like plenty of milk in my oatmeal. I will be making this again ~ It was delicious!