Chipotle Turkey Chili

This recipe and photo goes with one of the recipes in the book - it is on page 114. As usual, I altered the ingredients slightly, and the taste was just as good! I also put it in the crockpot, and the original recipe is prepared stovetop.

crockpot photo after I had stirred
in the yogurt and cilantro

Ingredients 
½ to ¾ lb. ground turkey
½ cup chopped onion
1 finely chopped garlic clove
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
15 ounce can cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed - the original recipe calls for using the beans undrained. I guess I drained and rinsed them out of habit, so then I altered the chicken broth quantity.
1 cup water
½ to ¾ teaspoon low-sodium chicken broth granules
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chipotle chili in adobe sauce, finely chopped - the original recipe calls for 1 chipotle chili; however, since I did not separate them before freezing, I had to cut off the mixture, and I decided that 2 tablespoons was a good amount.
½ cup nonfat plain yogurt or Greek yogurt
⅓ to ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
⅓ cup low-fat shredded co-jack cheese, optional - I did not use this, and we did not miss it at all.

Directions
In a large saucepan, cook turkey, onion, and garlic over medium-high heat until turkey is no longer pink—4 to 6 minutes. Stir in corn, beans, broth, salt and chipotle chili. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes. We did not know when we were going to be eating, so I put the mixture in the crockpot after the turkey was browned, and heated it on low for a couple of hours. The mixture will be quite thick until the yogurt is stirred in before serving.

Yum!
When ready to serve, stir in the yogurt and cilantro. Serve with additional yogurt, cilantro, and shredded cheese, if desired.


topped with freshly ground pepper

Comments