Overnight Whole-Wheat Pancakes

I have found that with most breakfast recipes, I can substitute 100% whole-grain flour for white flour with excellent results. I also usually try swapping out some of the butter in recipes for olive oil. For this recipe, I do not recall whether I swapped out the butter blend for olive oil 50/50 (I made these a couple of weeks ago, and I forgot to write it down), so I am listing the butter blend in the original quantity. I will update this post with the results the next time that I make pancakes with the olive oil substitute.

Ingredients:
2 to 2¼ cups whole-wheat flour
3 tablespoons sugar or sugar substitute
1½ teaspoons yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1¾ cups fat-free milk
¼ cup butter blend
1 egg

Directions:
Combine ¾ cup whole-wheat flour, sugar, and yeast.

Heat milk and butter blend to 120° – 130°F. Stir until butter blend is melted, and then gradually add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at high speed. Add egg and 1 cup whole-wheat flour. Beat 2 minutes at high speed, adding salt at end. Stir in remaining whole-wheat flour.


Cover; let rise 45 minutes or overnight in fridge before cooking on preheated pancake griddle.

I gently stirred in fresh blueberries (a bit too many!) to this batch of pancakes the next morning before cooking.

Even though I condense recipes down for just the two of us, I always have leftover pancakes and waffles. They freeze well, and easily heat up in the microwave or toaster, so this is never a problem for us. To freeze: Make sure remaining cakes are cooled and dry, then place in a freezer bag between sheets of wax or parchment paper, and store in the freezer. 

Comments