Old Style Popcorn

No one seems to use the old style popcorn kernels anymore, since microwave popcorn has become available in pop-it-in-the-microwave packages. I remember cooking popcorn on the stove when I was young. We then advanced to electric poppers and air poppers. When packaged microwave popcorn became available, I started buying that.

I had a very old bag of popcorn kernels in the cupboard, and I wondered, "Are they still good?" It turns out, they are! Cooking popcorn kernels in a brown paper bag in the microwave, is not only healthier than pre-packaged products, the cost is also much less. This is not a new concept; it is merely a forgotten one as packaged microwave popcorn became more popular. This blog post is a reminder of a forgotten art ~ 


Ingredients
¼ cup popcorn kernels

Directions
Measure popcorn into a clean brown lunch bag. Fold the top over, and place it in the microwave for 1.5 to 3 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the popcorn, as it will burn very quickly. I cooked the popcorn in the photo less than 2 minutes. I pressed the popcorn setting on my microwave, and then stopped it when the popping started to slow down. There was about 20 seconds of time left.

The result is a product similar to what was produced in air poppers. Since the popcorn does not have any added flavor, I like to spray it lightly with butter flavored cooking spray, and then sprinkle it lightly with seasoned salt or another seasoning.

The ¼ cup of kernels made about 3 bowls of popped corn, and I had just a few un-popped kernels left.

Comments