Balsamic Roasted Chicken and Asparagus

I received this recipe from Smart Balance, and I have not altered hardly anything. 


ready for the oven


Ingredients
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed, cut in half
1 red onion, quartered
Balsamic marinade:
¼ c. balsamic vinegar
¼ c. olive oil
1 t. liquid sweetener (honey, honey substitute, Sweet 'N Low)
2 T. fresh rosemary or 2 t. dried rosemary - I used dried this time, although fresh is much better
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 t. dried oregano

Directions
Preheat oven to 400°f. Wash and dry the chicken well with a paper towel, season with salt and pepper. I cut my chicken breast into meaty sized chunks.

Combine all the balsamic marinade ingredients together in a large bowl. Add chicken, asparagus and onion; toss well to coat. I used a large bowl, put a lid on it, and lightly shook/tossed everything.

Spray a large baking sheet or 2 medium baking sheets with non-stick spray. I used Pampered Chef stoneware, and did not use cooking spray. 

Lay the chicken and vegetables out on the trays in a single layer, so nothing touches each other. I did not have all of my food items flat and non-touching. This dish turned out fine, and I imagine the only difference, if cooked flat, would be that the items might turn out a bit more charred.

Bake until cooked through—20 to 30 minutes. I cooked this dish 27 minutes. It was very good, and looked only slightly different afterward than it had before I put it in the oven.

I think this dish would also be excellent with fish or pork instead of chicken. I plan to try a different protein next time!

Comments